So I realized this weekend (when my husband requested chicken parm again for the 638562085081 time) that this dish has been such a HUGE staple in our home for years, but I still haven’t shared the recipe yet on the blog! I must say you all are in for quite the treat because this Baked Chicken Parmesan is definitely a favorite of ours and when thrown together with some spiralized zucchini noodles, your dinner just instantly got a little bit healthier!
Chicken parmesan is legit comfort food at its finest and the great thing about this recipe is how eeeeeasy it is! Seriously. Once you dredge the chicken in the egg wash and bread crumbs, you simply bake, top with cheese and marinara then throw it over some zucchini noodles. I can also guarantee that you’ll have this delicious healthy dinner on your table in just 30 minutes or less – total win right?!
Now you know how obsessed I am with zucchini noodles which is why I love making this recipe so much! No need to cook them either which is a GREAT time saver. First make sure to remove any of the excess water using paper towels (this is important) then just top them with the warm marinara sauce that has been simmering on the stove. The sauce actually softens the noodles up perfectly without them getting soggy!
If you’re still on the fence about purchasing a spiralizer, I’m here to tell you to just DO IT. Seriously you won’t be disappointed and then you can make these or even these! I’ve heard a few of you say that you just don’t have room for one in your kitchen. Well what I like to do is store it in the box in my pantry because it’s really not that big and I have easy access to it. There are also so many blade options giving you a huge variety of noodle sizes. If this spiralizer is still too large and you need something a little more convenient for easy storage, this handheld spiralizer is a great option too!
Cleaning your spiralizer is super easy too, I just use a toothbrush and a little dish soap to clean it after every use.
Oh and if you’re looking for more fun ideas to spiralize, I also LOVE the Inspiralized cookbook from Ali of Inspiralized! She has so many delicious recipes and creative ways to use your spiralizer, it’s incredibly helpful! I mean you can pretty much spiralize anything – sweet potatoes, squash, bell peppers, cucumbers – the possibilities are endless!
Okay back to this Chicken Parmesan! I used a mixture of whole wheat bread crumbs, flaxseed meal, grated Parmesan and some herbs to really give this dish a ton of flavor. To make this dish gluten-free you could always just substitute the bread crumbs with more flaxseed meal – the texture is really similar which gives you a nice crunch and the flavors are still there!
I also make sure to pound the breasts out to about a 1/2-inch thickness which ensures that each piece of chicken is not only the same size, but they’re also tender, juicy and perfectly delicious! For the marinara you could either use a store bought tomato sauce of your choice just to keep things really simple OR feel free to use this recipe which is one of my all-time favorites.
So to sum things up, you really can’t go wrong with this super easy Chicken Parmesan recipe and it’s one that I can assure you is definitely kid and hubby-approved! As always, don’t forget to take pics and share your drool-worthy recipes on Instagram or Twitter tagging #eatyourselfskinnyrecipe – I love seeing what you all make!
Chicken Parmesan with Zucchini Noodles Print Serves: 4 Servings Ingredients
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp water
- 2½ cups favorite marinara or this recipe
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralized
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut chicken horizontally and pound each piece about ½ inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, flaxseed meal, oregano and garlic powder. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together egg whites and teaspoon of water until frothy.
- Dip chicken into egg mixture and press into bread crumb mixture, coating both sides. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Spray the tops of the chicken with cooking spray and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until juices run clear and cooked through.
- While chicken is baking, heat marinara on the stove in a small saucepan on medium heat and spiralize zucchini. Set aside on paper towels so that any excess water is soaked up and feel free to sprinkle with a little salt to help with this.
- Remove chicken and top each piece with 2 tbsp marinara + 2 tbsp mozzarella and place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Spoon ¼ cup heated marinara onto zucchini noodles (this will soften your noodles so no need to cook them in a skillet), top with baked chicken parm and sprinkle with fresh basil. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information Serving Size: 1 chicken breast + 1 spiralized zucchini • Calories: 346 • Fat: 9.6 g • Saturated Fat: 2.5 g • Carbs: 22 g • Fiber: 6.3 g • Protein: 41 g • Sugar: 7 g • WW Points+: 8 • Smart Points: 8 3.5.3208